Surname Saturday: Brinson

This Surname Saturday article has been moved to the Digging History Magazine site.

This blog has been converted and is being published as a monthly digital magazine (PDF), available by individual purchase or subscription and emailed each month to your inbox.  The magazine is packed with informative articles focusing on history and genealogy, colorful graphics and between 60-75 pages in length with a comfortable reading font.

NOTE:  Check the “Special Offers” page for contests, giveaways and discount codes.

Magazine samples (a few selected pages) are also available.  Want to try a full issue?  Go to the Digging History Magazine web site and find the “Subscribe to Blog Via Email” section (at the bottom of all pages).  Provide your email and become a follower and look for your free issue.

32 Comments

1. Thankyou!
    Daniel Brinson and Henry Greenland was where our Brinson heritage started in the United States from England.

Darla Brinson-McDonald
    Cleo Springs, Oklahoma 73729

• Thanks for stopping by, cousin! 🙂 Did you have any Brinson ancestors in Pulaski County, Kentucky?

• Yes, Zebulon Brinson D.1804 Montgomery, KY
        And Mary Ann Riblin Brinson D.1809 in Pulaski, KY

2. What about the Brinson’s in Canada?

• Brinsons in Canada — your family? Tell me more as I haven’t run across any in Canada. Thanks for stopping by.

• I’ve only met my family, and most of us are located in Alberta. But I don’t know anything about my family history.

• So which side of your family (maternal or paternal) is the Brinson line?

• My paternal family. My great grandfather died a number of years ago before I took interest in learning my heritage and my grandfather doesn’t know much either as far as I know.

• If you can get the names and birth dates (even if approximate) of parents, grandparents and perhaps great grandparents that would be a good start — you’d be surprised what you can find out with just that small amount of information. Any information as to where they were born and lived is also very helpful in finding records.

Would be interesting to see if we were any way related. It appears my Brinson line originated in England. I have one ancestor, the first born in America, by the name of Barefoot (or Barfoot).

3. Hello, I believe that I am Barefoot’s 7th (or so) Granddaughter. My Grandfather was Carter Ben Brunston, born in 1920, he was the son of Alice Rosa Coates and Benjamin Jolly Brunston. Benjamin’s father was William Butler Brunston, his father was Isaac Brunston, who’s father was Isaac “Barefoot” Brunston (1748), who’s father was Daniel Bryns Brinson (1653).

• Very interesting .. I haven’t seen that surname spelling variation before (Brunston). Perhaps we are cousins… thanks for stopping by!

4. Does anyone know if the Brinson were slave owners in Georgia?

• I see there were some slaves with the Brinson surname so I’d say there were some Brinsons who did own slaves. My Brinson line went to Kentucky. Thanks for stopping by.

• Yes, there were Brinsons in Georgia who were slave owners. We were not a wealthy family so we didn’t have many. I am a Brinson and my family has a cemetery outside of Swainsboro where the family and their servants are buried. We have an annual meeting/reunion where we clean our cemetery. We have a stone in the cemetery with the servant’s names listed.

We were also pioneer settlers of Emanuel County, GA and served in the State Legislature for several generations. We moved there in 1800.

I do want to make a point that there were other Brinsons who came to Virginia in the 1660’s near Virginia Beach in an area called Dam Neck. This is where my line came from with genealogical stops in Jacksonville, NC on down to Burke and Emanuel Counties in GA. My father worked diligently to trace our history back to this location in VA. Back in the 1980’s we had a huge family reunion of sort to name Lake Tecumseh in our name, Brinson Inlet Lake. https://archive.org/stream/damneckstory00unse/damneckstory00unse_djvu.txt
      Here is a link that we believe is an accurate trace of our ancestry: http://one-name.org/name_profile/brimson/
      It speaks of where the name came from and when it was introduced to England. Thomas is the first person we hear of having this name and he was a cousin of William The Conqueror. It is believed that Thomas came over with William in 1066.
      I believe we came from southeastern England just outside of London. in the county of Kent.

-Jonathan Brinson,
      son of Benjamin Lewis Brinson, Jr.
      Grandson of Benjamin Lewis Brinson
      Great Grandson of Benjamin Lester Brinson
      Great Great Grandson of Jesse Adam Brinson
      Great Great Great Grandson of Benjamin E. Brinson

• Hello Jonathan, I just stumbled across this website and saw your post. Thank you for setting the record straight on the Virginia Brinsons! I am one of your distant cousins from Virginia and was at that family reunion years ago. My maternal grandmother was a Brinson. My mother’s cousin, Margaret (Brinson) Reed, initiated the effort to change the name of the lake. She had a genealogy of our family line done and pulled together the descendants of the three Brinson brothers who came to Virginia in the 1600s, for that 300+ year family reunion. She is now deceased, and my mother is the only Brinson of her generation still living.

It is interesting to see that our ancestors likely originated from Kent England (for many years my family had mistakenly assumed Scotland). Ironically, I live in New Kent Virginia.

In the 1980s, I was the manager of False Cape State Park in Southeastern Virginia Beach. There is a small cemetery back in the maritime forest with several family plots. I was amazed to discover that among them—and the oldest grave there—is a single grave with a headstone that reads: Mary W. Brinson, 1852-1898. No other Brinsons are buried there. I later learned that Mary was apparently widowed and moved back home to be buried with her family.

• I would love to learn
          More on the Brinson settlers in Virginia.
          I have taken my Brinson family tree back to the 1600’s with John Daniel Brinson coming from England to New Jersey on the ship called the willing Mind. His defendants was settlers in Virginia.
          Has any books been written?

Thankyou!
          darlabrinson@gmail.com

• I am a descendant of these Brinson. I believe Benjamin E. Brinson may be my great, great, great grandfather.

• Hey Marcia how would I be able to check further and deaper on the Brinson family name

5. Excellent information! My great grandmother was Edith Brinson Smith from Indianapolis, her line comes from Kentucky as well.

• Sounds like we may be related…. thanks for stopping by!

6. Sharon,
    My Brinson line was traced back to Daniel Brinson. I think I am like 10 generations removed from Daniel. My grandfather was Gaylord Alton Brinson, son of Cory F. and Pearl Bell Buchanan Brinson. They lived in Madison, Indiana and relatives had a grave sites on the Kentucky side of the Ohio river that I have visited. My father is Robert. We made a trip to Princeton to see the Barracks and the old mill traced back to Daniel and Barefoot times last September. We found that Princeton University is built on the land that was once owned by Daniel Brinson. I am curious to see if I can find any Revolutionary war veterans in my ancestry. I would love to see our connection!
    Laura Brinson Graham

• We are more than likely related .. distant cousins. One of my ancestors is Barefoot Brinson. I haven’t researched further on Barefoot yet but many trees say Daniel was his father. Do you have a tree I can view?

• My family line as far back as I have traced it ….William Brinson (born in Devonshire, England about 1623, death ?, married Margaret ?), Daniel Brinson (born 1653 in Membury Parrish, Membury, Devonshire, England, died 1696 Milston, Middlesex, NJ area of Princeton, married Frances Greenland 1681), Barefoot Brinson (born 1686, Middlesex Co.,NJ, died in NJ date?, married to Marritje Mary Lawrence Popinga 1705-1737), John Brinson (born in New York in 1725, died after 1759,? place, married Hannah Stout 1741-?), Zebulon Brinson, Sr. (born 1750 Hopewell, Hunterdon Co., NJ, died Montgomery Co., KY 1804,married Mary? 1768 in VA), Zebulon Brinson, Jr. (born 1771 in VA, died 1851 in Ripley Co., IN, married Catherine Keithley 1799 Madison Co, KY), Anthony Keithley Brinson (born 1805 Montgomery Co., KY, died 1877 Switzerland Co., IN, married Nancy Tipton (Safley) Softley 1824 Ripley Co., IN), Jonathon Brinson (born 1832 Cross Plains, Ripley Co., IN, died 1910, Switzerland Co., IN, married Bethany Jackson ? date,place), Anthony Andrew Brinson (born 1854 Ripley Co., IN, died 1920, married Elizabeth A. Stevenson 1875 Ripley Co.,IN), Corydan F. Brinson (born 1878, IN, died 1971, Madison, IN, married Pearl B. Buchanan), Gaylord Alton Brinson (born 1907 North Madison, IN, died 2004, New Castle, IN lived in Mt. Summit, IN, married Ruby Blanche Perkinson in IN), Robert Lee Brinson (my father, born 1936, IN, lives in Michigantown, IN currently, married Nancy Modlin 1958, daughter Laura Brinson Graham – thats me! – born in NJ while my father was in Army, stationed very close to Princeton but had no idea of history of family roots there at the time!) We are definitely cousins!

• It appears we are cousins. I recognize several names in your list of ancestors. My Brinsons went to Kentucky.

7. Hi there, I am descended from Cason Brinson in New Bern, NC. My father was Kenneth Hill Brinson. Lovely to run across this page! I am very interested in family history/research. Have you all seen the book “Here, There and Yonder” by Robert Brinson?

• No I haven’t. My Brinsons were in New Jersey. I wonder if we are related in any way (would be way back probably)? Have you done DNA on Ancestry?

• Thanks so much for your info! I am also descended from the Brinsons in eastern Va. I really want to go see Brinson’s pond before i die.

• Sharon, I have done my DNA w/ Ancestry and am waiting to hear back on 2 other tests. I can’t help but wonder if the Brinsons are all related. How do I find you on Ancestry?

• Very possible we’re related. This is my family tree on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/100168386/family

You’ll find the Brinsons off the maternal Erp/Earp line (Hannah Brinson was Andrew Milford Erp’s mother). There is also another Brinson (Hannah’s sister Temperance).

• Daniel Brinson was my 12th Great Grandfather. Would love to read any information.
        darlabrinson@gmail.com
        Tyia

8. Is anyone here related to the Brinson line in South Carolina? All I know is that my great grandmother’s name was Bertha Marie Martin Brinson born Sept 18 1910.