Surname Saturday: Rupe/Rupp/Roop

SurnameSaturday_smToday’s surname is a family name – my great grandmother Maude Hall was a Rupe.  She was quite a character (more on that later).  The name is mostly likely of Germanic origins although there are various theories as to its exact meaning and derivation:

4Crests: A baptismal name for “son of Robert” and derived from a Germanic personal name (HROD and BERHT).  Following the Norman Conquest the name was occasionally seen in England as well.  In Germany the “o” in Robert became a “u” and the “b” was replaced by “p” – Rupert.

Ancestry.com: From the Middle Low German word “rupe” which means “caterpillar” and thus a nickname for a gardener.  Sometimes spelled Rupp or Ruppe.

Internet Surname Database: Rupp (a spelling variation) has been recorded in over seventy spellings (Robert, Robart, Robb, Rupert, Rops, Ruppertz and so on).  This source agrees the name “Hrodbeorht” morphed into the Rupe/Rupp/Rupert surname, with “hrod” meaning renown and “beorht” meaning bright or famous.

Wikipedia: This is an interesting theory, citing the closest German surname as Ruprecht, which in German was used to describe St. Nicholas’ (Knecht Ruprecht) or Santa’s helper.

House of Names: Citing the Germanic name Rupp which was first found in Hamburg, the family gaining a “significant reputation for its contributions to the emerging medieval society.”  Spelling variations include Krupp, Krup, Krupe, Crup, Crupp, Crupe, Cruppe, Kroupe, Crop, Cropp, and many more.

I’m still working on the Rupe line, its origins and who exactly was the “gateway ancestor” who first immigrated to America.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information as to just who that was, and to complicate matters further, there appears to be more than one Martin or Johann Martin Roop – one in Pennsylvania and one in Shenandoah, Virginia.  A Martin Roop of Virginia mentions his son Henry Roop in his will, directing him to care for his mother Margarett.  Whether this is my fourth great grandfather is unclear.

Henry migrated with several other family members to Gallia County, Ohio, where my third great grandfather David Price Rupe also lived and where my second great grandfather George Washington Rupe was born.  David and his family migrated to Sebastian County, Arkansas in 1856 and sided with the Union during the Civil War.  Tragically, David was murdered by one or both of his two sons Ransom and Samuel in 1873.  Ransom and Samuel, my second great grandfather’s brothers, broke out of jail and Samuel later committed suicide.

William Marion Rupe was the son of George Washington Rupe.  He married my second great grandmother Mary Ellen Cocherell (or Cockerell) and had two children with her, Maude and Roy.  Here’s a little story, oft-repeated in our family and always sure to bring a smile.

PaperScrap

Maude Rupe was born  September 11, 1886 in Sebastian County, Arkansas to parents William Marion and Mary Ellen (Cocherell) Rupe.  She was a fetching young girl who caught the eye of Roland Daniel Hall, my great grandfather.  Roland Daniel was born on November 8, 1880 in neighboring Logan County to parents John Clayton and Kate Hall (John and Kate were first cousins).  When Roland and Maude decided to get married, they took a little trip south to  Mena, the county seat of Polk County.

MaudeRupe_fixed_sm_framed

I’m sure they did that to avoid running into anyone who could attest to the fact that young Maude wasn’t quite yet fourteen years old on April 2, 1900.  In fact, she was seven months and nine days short of her fourteenth birthday.   Roland, nineteen, was about to marry a thirteen year-old girl.

According to the marriage affidavit, Maudie Rupe had arrived at the age of 16 years.  The story she told for years thereafter, however, was that she swore to be over the age of eighteen.  Maude had written the number “18” on a scrap of paper and slipped it into her shoe.  When asked if she was “over the age of 18” she emphatically answered, “Yes, I am!”

The newlyweds moved to Yell County and on June 25 were enumerated there for the 1900 census.  My great grandmother apparently deemed it imprudent to try and fool the federal government — her age was listed as 13.

1900Census

My dad remembers the numerous times that his grandparents sat at their kitchen table, told that story and laughed about it.  Now it’s part of our family lore, and even those who never met them have something to remember about our ancestors Roland Daniel Hall and Maude Rupe.

Have a GREAT day . . . someday it will be HISTORY!

spacer_wht
© Sharon Hall (Digging History), 2015.

37 Comments

1. That is a hoot!!! Love it!!

• There is a lot of information about the Rupe family in Scott County Arkansas. My Grandfather Chester Bethel Rupe was raised there along with his brothers and sister. Scott County neighbors Sebastian County.

2. I think I am related to David Price Rupe through his son Daniel, but cannot find anything about Daniel’s family and cannot go back past my great-great grandfather, Samuel Lewis Rupe. He was born in 1873 in Sebastian County, AR and we think he was the son of Daniel. I know that Samuel and Lewis were both names of David Price Rupe’s sons, so I think I’m on the right track. Anyway, wondering if you might have any information about this branch of the family.

• Look under Rootsweb family trees under David Price Rupe. Click on the names with the most icons. David was married to Mary Jane Anderson.

• 16. Martin Rupp was born 1743 in Germany, and died 11 Dec 1801 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA. He was the son of 32. Jacob Rupp and 33. Anna Glocklern.
        17. Margararet Rupp.

Children of Margararet Rupp and Martin Rupp are:
        i. Jacob W Rupe was born ABT 1760 in Virginia, USA, and died 16 Mar 1846 in Kosciusko, Indiana, USA. He married Martha Price 12 Jun 1798 in Rockingham, Virginia, USA, daughter of David Price and Hannah Frampton. She was born 1770 in Maryland, USA, and died 15 Mar 1846 in Warsaw, Kosciusko, Indiana, USA.
        ii. John Rupe was born 1762 in Valley, Montour, Pennsylvania, USA, and died 1814. He married Catrina Helman 25 Oct 1895 in Shenedoah, Virginia, USA.
        iii. Martin Rupe Jr was born 1765 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 20 May 1836 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Christina Zirkle 27 May 1789 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA. She was born 08 Apr 1769.
        8. iv. Henry Rupe was born ABT 1770 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 20 May 1836 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Elizabeth Price 15 Nov 1804 in Rockingham, Virginia, USA. She was born ABT 1785 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA.
        v. Margaret Rupe was born 1772 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 1811 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA. She married Christian Neff ABT 1795.
        vi. Michael Rupe was born 1773 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 1843 in Rockingham, Virginia, USA. He married Catharina Hockman, daughter of Ulrich Hockman.
        vii. George W Rupe was born 1774 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 1850 in Gallia, Ohio, USA.

8. Henry Rupe was born ABT 1770 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 20 May 1836 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He was the son of 16. Martin Rupp and 17. Margararet Rupp.
        9. Elizabeth Price was born ABT 1785 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA.

Children of Elizabeth Price and Henry Rupe are:
        i. David Price Rupe was born ABT 1807 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 24 May 1873 in Sebastian, Arkansas, USA. He married Mary Jane Anderson 28 Oct 1830. She was born ABT 1812 in Connecticut, USA.
        4. ii. George Washington Rupe was born 01 Jun 1809 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 18 Oct 1888 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Elizabeth Rothgeb 12 May 1837 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, daughter of Jacob Rothgeb and Barbara Wydick. She was born 08 Dec 1817 in Ohio, USA, and died 02 Mar 1898.
        iii. Andrew J Rupe was born ABT 1810 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died in Clay, Missouri, USA. He married Sally Alshire 02 Jan 1835 in Gallia, Ohio, USA.
        iv. George Isaac Rupe was born 06 Aug 1816 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 04 Oct 1884 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Amanda Brock 01 Apr 1847 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, daughter of Name not found and Name not found. She was born 26 Oct 1828 in Gallia, Ohio, USA.
        v. Emily Elizabeth Rupe was born 16 Nov 1819 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She married Richard Cooper 19 May 1842 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He was born in Ohio, USA.
        vi. Ransom Henry Rupe was born ABT 1822 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 15 Nov 1890 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Barbara Hafhhill 16 Mar 1846 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She was born in Ohio, USA.

4. George Washington Rupe was born 01 Jun 1809 in Shenandoah, Virginia, USA, and died 18 Oct 1888 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He was the son of 8. Henry Rupe and 9. Elizabeth Price.
        5. Elizabeth Rothgeb was born 08 Dec 1817 in Ohio, USA, and died 02 Mar 1898. She was the daughter of 10. Jacob Rothgeb and 11. Barbara Wydick.

Children of Elizabeth Rothgeb and George Washington Rupe are:
        i. Henry Rupe was born 12 Apr 1838 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 03 Feb 1840.
        ii. Caroline Rupe was born 05 May 1840 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 30 Apr 1924 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. She married James Berridge 18 Aug 1861 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She married Washington Arnold 04 Mar 1869 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, son of Name not found and Name not found. He was born 1843 in Virginia, USA.
        iii. Johnthan Rupe was born 24 Apr 1842 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 15 Nov 1920 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Caroline Swisher 23 Oct 1860 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She was born 1844 in Ohio, USA, and died 1941.
        iv. Joseph Rupe was born 18 Jan 1845 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 15 May 1908 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Mary Conor “Polly” Ralph 28 Jan 1869 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, daughter of Obediah Ralph and Sarah Sally Smith. She was born 1848 in Ohio, USA.
        v. Adaline Rupe was born 19 Feb 1847 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 01 Jun 1869. She married Francis “Frank” A Butcher 18 Sep 1867 in Gallia, Ohio, USA.
        vi. Jacob Henry Rupe was born 01 Jun 1849 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 25 Sep 1936 in Cheshire, Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Mary Ellen Ritchey 01 Aug 1878 in Pomeroy, Meigs, Ohio, USA, daughter of Alex Ritchey and Sophia Kyger. She was born 29 Jan 1854 in Muskingum, Ohio, USA, and died 14 Nov 1896 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Sophia R Daniels 1879 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She was born Dec 1852 in Ohio, USA.
        vii. Baby Rupe was born 06 Jul 1851, and died 06 Jul 1851.
        2. viii. George Washington Rupe was born 16 Jun 1853 in Ohio, USA, and died in Missouri, USA. He married Fidelia Dilly Butcher 1875 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, daughter of Name not found and Name not found. She was born Dec 1859 in Ohio, USA.
        ix. William Rupe was born 11 Mar 1856 in Gallia, Ohio, USA, and died 08 Jan 1943 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. He married Sarah Caroline Halfhill 1876 in Gallia, Ohio, USA. She was born Nov 1856 in Ohio, USA, and died 07 Jan 1943 in Gallia, Ohio, USA.

From GW RUPE BORN 1853, son Homer Hector Rupe, son Robert Glenn Rupe, son Glen Lee Rupe(ME!)

I have copies of marriage licence, wills,land grant and sales from Martin’s will of 1801 naming wife and children, giving 157 ac to Henry (which stiil today appears to be a land parcel of 157 ac with a log cabin in use est to be pre 1800), to wedding licence of Henry and Eliz,
        I have visited 8 county courthouse in Va, Shenandoah, Rockingham, Bath, Botertourt, Rockbridge, Highlands, Page etc in the valley and copied the information. From will, deed, court records, etc. at source and help was in Dayton, Va The Heritage Museum, Rockbridge-Harisonburg Histrical Society.

3. Hello my name is Mark Scott Rupe. I live in Virginia and my parents parents came from Pulaski VA my grandfather told us prior to his death that our ancestors came to America via the Hessian Army. The story goes that the Rupe family men did not have the money to come to the new world. They devised a plan to come over to fight against the New world settlers, and when they arrived they decided that this new world was a place they wanted to stay. So the story goes that they took off for the mountains of Virginia and settled in the Shannondoah Valley.
    This seemed to make since as my grandfather and parents were originally born in Pulaski county Va which is obviously in the VA mountains.
    This made since to me because as a child my fathers father lived with us and had quite the green thumb. He claimed that this knowledge had been passed to him from his ancestors. I wish I had been interested in my ancestors at this young age but alas I had other things on my mind, baseball.
    Thanks for the stories, I would be interested in more information about my family, so it’s time for me to start looking.
    My father had two brothers and one sister who I knew growing up quite well. Preston was the oldest then Carrie or Cary my aunt, Jessie was my uncle who we dearly loved along with my father Robert. Amazingly I was called by a salesman years ago who’s name was Scott Mark Rupe, weird and he also told me a version of this story of how we came to the New World he lived in Texas or Arkansas I can’t remember.

• Mark, thanks so much for stopping by! I’m sending you an email with a personal response. Who knows — we might be related!

• HI, Sharon, I note you mentioning the following, “there appears to be more than one Martin or Johann Martin Roop – one in Pennsylvania and one in Shenandoah, Virginia.” How much information do you have about the Roop family? I’m still trying to figure out which Roop my family belongs to since I am unable to locate my ancesters in a Roop family tree we have dating from the 1930s. Thanks!!

• Thanks for stopping by. I don’t have a lot of Rupe research done past David Price Rupe. Do you have an online tree I could look at?

4. I wonder if im related in any way

• Could be .. thanks for stopping by!

• I’m a Rupp – are you any relation to William Rupp of Iowa? That was my great-grandfather – but he abandoned my grand-father Leo and his mother in the early 1900s. I’ve only run across a few Rupps in my lifetime. We live in California. Nice to meet you. Cassandra Rupp Conroy great article by the way, Sharon Hall – very nice story to share 🙂

• No known relation to a Rupp in Iowa. I believe my ancestors in Virginia may have spelled their name “Roop” or possibly “Rupp”. However, those who went to Ohio and later to Arkansas spelled it “Rupe”. Where in California do you live? I lived for several years in Los Angeles. So glad you stopped by and enjoyed the article. Merry Christmas!

• I’m Patrick Rupe and my grandfather Harvey Rupe is from Fort Worth Texas. Any clues?!

• Wonder if we’re related? Have you conducted any research?

5. Great info! Thank you

6. Sure wish I had been interested In our Rupe family when I was young. My Uncle Francis Marion Rupe told me one of our ancestors brought Wagon trains to Calif. He also said at least one ran with Jessie James?

• My great-great grandfather’s middle name was Marion…. wonder if that was a family name (his full name William Marion Rupe of Sebastian County, Arkansas – born in Gallia County, OH). Here’s another story about my Rupe family in Arkansas: http://digging-history.com/2016/01/10/monday-musings-signature-stories/. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Saw your writting and thought i should pass on a few notes. I am Glen Rupe, son of Robert Glenn Rupe, son of Homer Hector Rupe, son of George Washington Rupe (jr) (Adair County Mo sherriff about 1892) son of George Washington Rupe, this is where we connect I believe. Have been working, trying to get back to Germany in bout the 1720-1740 my best guess. I’m lucky to be in Virginia, Shennahoah valley for this summer and last and have been going to county clerks offices pulling rupe and roop documents, wills, grants and such. Have a ton of notes on I’d guess a100 Rupe/Roop relitives. we should chat sometime.

• Sounds like a connection to me! Are you on Facebook?

• Sorry, its been a busy summer, going back a bit further, GW Rupe, son of Henry, 1770 approx-1836, Galia County, Oh, son of Martin and Margaret, (have a copy of the will recording), prob son of Jacob.
        Have photos/copies of about mmmm 100 pages of documents from Shenadoah, Rockbridge, Botetourt, and other Va counties connected to Roop, Rupe, Rupp etc.
        Here’s the fun one, I have a current picture of a log cabin, remodeled and in use today, by design prob build in the 1700’s located on the 157 acres mentioned in Martin Roop will of 1801.

• Anything you’re able to send me about Rupe/Rupp/Roop would be appreciated: perfsol.sh@gmail.com

8. I am a Roop, but unfortunately I have next to no information about this side of the family seeing as my grandpa took his wife and kids away from his family in Kansas/Oklahoma to go to Michigan. Perhaps there was a Roop that has been lost track of? It’s hard to track down my family because a lot of my relatives were native american and both they and their spouses wanted to hide that

• There were some Rupe family members in Oklahoma (probably still are) but they spelled their names differently. My third great grandfather was George Washington Rupe and he was born in Gallia, Ohio and I believe his father David Price Rupe was born in Virginia. Do you know where your Roop ancestors migrated from before they arrived in Kansas/Oklahoma? Mine went from Ohio to Arkansas.

• My gggg grandmother Mary Rupe (from Scotland) married a ________ Turner and resided in Missouri approx 1825. I can’t figure out how she came from Scotland with a Germanic name. So confused. Always thought this name was Scottish.
        Julie
        flood@gorge.net

• I suppose it means that all Rupe/Roop/Rupp aren’t German necessarily… I believe mine were, however. There is a word in the Scottish language:

Thanks for stopping by!

• I found a few Mary,s from around that time, but none seem to match, Mary Rupe was born on 24 Nov 1803 in Gallia Co, OH. (50) She died on 12 Nov 1868 in Gallia Co, OH. (50) Parents: Martin Rupe and Christina Zirkle.
            She was married to John Gee on 26 Aug 1819 in Gallia Co, OH.(50)
            1850 Gallia Co Huntington Twp # 186
            John 53 NY
            Mary 45 OH
            John 18
            Allen 15
            Jane 13
            Eunice 6 Children were: John Gee, Allen Gee, Jane Gee, Eunice Gee.

——– Mary Rupe was born UNKNOWN in Ohio. Parents: John Henry Rupe and Rebecca Lewis.

——– Mary Rupe was born about 1858.(50) Parents: Lewis Zircke Rupe and Mary Magdeline Smith.

——– Mary Ann Rupe was born UNKNOWN. Parents: Jacob Rupe and Martha Price.

——– Mary E Rupe was born about 1863 in Gallia Co, OH. (50) She died about 1938.(50) Buried Gravel Hill Cem, Cheshire, Gallia Co, OH (L. White) Parents: George Isaac Rupe and Marinda\Amanda Brock. She was married to Newton S Darst on 7 Oct 1882 in Gallia Co, OH.(50) Children were: Clarence Darst, Budd Lawrence Darst.

Mary Evaline Rupe was born about 1846. (50) Parents: Matthias Cory Rupe and Emily Ellen Searles.

——– Mary Jane Rupe was born on 18 Dec 1848 in Gallia Co, OH. (50) She died on 20 Jun 1937.(50) Parents: Ransom Henry Rupe and Barbara Halfhill.
            She was married to Martin Rutherford on 6 Jun 1886 in Gallia Co, OH.(50)

——– Mary Washington Rupe was born about 1861.(50) Parents: George Washington Rupe and Mary Jane Adams.

——– Matthias Cory Rupe was born about 1821.(50) He died about 1908.(50)
            1850 Gallia Co, Cheshire Twp, OH 1033
            Matthias Roop, 28, carpenter, Oh
            Emily, 26, OH
            Mary, 4, OH
            Elizabeth, 2, OH
            Hannah, 1, OH
            Parents: Martin Rupe Jr and Hannah Halfhill.
            Children were: Delbert Rupe , Lula E Rupe, Lillie Rupe , Hollis E Rupe, Effie E Rupe.

Children were: Mary Evaline Rupe, Elizabeth Caroline Rupe, Hannah Jane Rupe, Hester Ann Rupe, William Alonzo Rupe, James Newton Rupe, Jacob Elmore Rupe, Augusta Emaline Rupe, Rhoda Adaline Rupe, Electa Catherine Rupe, Cora Ellen Rupe, Henry Brounlow Rupe.

• Those Gallia County Rupes are probably related to me — I have a great uncle who was named Ransom (born in Ohio, killed his father David Price Rupe in Arkansas) — so perhaps Ransom was a family name?

• Yes, Iv linked him to my string on the family tree also

• Then it seems we are related?

• My Rupe ancestors where in Gallia County, OH before migrating to Arkansas. Have you tested your DNA?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Monday Musings: Signature Stories | Digging History - […] (NOTE:  I don’t know exactly what happened to Ransom, but he died in Mena, Arkansas in 1895.  Mena brings…