While many of Colorado’s ghost towns were formerly booming mining towns, this one east of the Black Forest near Colorado Springs was an agricultural community. The area began to be settled in 1872 and was first called Easton when a post office was established at Weir’s Sawmill.
In 1881 the Denver and New Orleans Railroad, later the Colorado and Southern Railroad, began to lay track in the area. A train stop named McConnellsville was established a few miles northeast of Easton in 1882. The residents of Easton decided to move their town there in a “relocate or perish” action (Colorado Ghost Towns: Past and Present by Robert L. Brown, p. 93).
NOTE: Digging History is now a monthly digital (PDF) magazine. This article will be included in a future edition of Digging History Magazine. Check out the latest issue here: www.digginghistorymag.com or try a subscription here.